The Maltese flag has positioned itself as the preferred flag of choice for owners wishing to operate in the European Union. In addition to offering the advantages of operating in the EU, Maltese professionals are capable of offering ancillary services, such as assistance in financing and security as well as enforcement of such security and day to day management of such vessels.
Advantages to Shipowners
The following are some of the advantages and benefits of operating under the Malta Flag:
- Malta is an EU member State, a member of Paris MOU and is well placed on the White List;
- Owners of vessels operating or chartering under the Maltese Flag have the opportunity of benefitting from European State Aid – this could effectively lead to non-payment of tax on income generated from shipping activities;
- No exchange control authorisations are required for the purpose of incorporating or operating a shipping company; this also applies to the taking of security for loans or other facilities over Maltese-registered vessels owned by companies registered locally;
- There are no restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew serving on board Malta-flagged vessels;
- There are no restrictions on the nationality of shareholders and directors of shipping companies incorporated in Malta;
- Company incorporation costs are low and the registration fees highly competitive;
- Procedures for the registration or deletion of vessels as well as for the registration and discharge of mortgages are user-friendly and uncomplicated;
- It is possible to have immediate access to decision makers within the administration, backed by a qualified and efficient team of technical officers, available for urgent matters on a 24 hour basis, 7 days a week;
- A global network of consular offices offers constant support to ship operators;
- A number of double taxation and bilateral maritime agreements with other maritime nations are in force;
- No trading restrictions are imposed on vessels registered under the Malta Flag;
- Malta is a politically stable democracy with a robust legal system.
Authorised Classification Societies
It is a pre-requisite for a Maltese ship to be classed with a classification society authorised to issue statutory certificates, including certificates in terms of the ISM Code and the ISPS Code, on behalf of the Government of Malta.
The classification societies that are recognised/authorised by the Maltese Administration for this purpose are available by
Registration Fees and Tonnage Tax
Contact us on email@example.com – we can assist you throughout the registration process and provide you with a clear and concise breakdown of costs and fees involved.